Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Spicy Pickled Carrots

 This week I made a batch (6 quarts) of spicy pickled carrots and half a batch (3 quarts) of pickled jalapeno slices for Mike. He has been missing the carrots that we used to get at the taco shops in San Diego, so I thought I would see if I can make him some.
 Since all the carrots in the garden have been eaten by...something, I told Mike to get me some from the grocery store. He got me 10 pounds, plus some onions and jalapenos. I don't know if they're exactly like the ones from the taco shop, but they are yummy, so I'll share the recipe.

Spicy Pickled Carrots

  • 10 pounds carrots
  • 2 onions
  • 12 jalapenos
  • 12 cloves of garlic
  • 24 peppercorns
  • 3 tablespoons dried Mexican oregano
  • 6 cups 5% vinegar
  • 6 cups water
  • 1 cup sea salt
        Wash and prepare the veggies. Slice carrots into 1/4 inch rounds. cut onions into 1/4 inch slices, cut each jalapeno in half, peel the garlic. Wash your canning jars and then pack 1/3 of an onion, 2 jalapenos, 2 cloves of garlic, 4 peppercorns, 1/2 tablespoon of oregano, and as many carrot slices as you can fit, leaving 1/2 inch head space in the jar.
       Add the water, vinegar, and salt to a large, non-reactive pan and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes and then pour into the jars, covering the veggies, making sure to leave 1/2 space.
      These can go directly into the fridge or they can be canned in a water bath canner for 15 minutes to be stored at room temperature. For best flavor, wait at least a week before eating.
      Here's a picture of the finished product, cooling on my counter after coming out of the canner.

Pickled carrots and jalapeno slices
      Hope everyone has a great week...Blessed Be


Come check out the Homestead Barn Hop this week.

2 comments:

  1. I had never heard of spicy pickled carrots until now. They do sound good!

    :)Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki, they're very popular in southern California, but I've never seen them anywhere else.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete