Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Boring day on the homestead

 Last weekend Mike went to a local homestead to get my cheese supplies. He found out that they have several classes, including cheese making. On Sunday I was looking at the list of classes they have, I discovered that there was a 3 day homesteading class that teaches the basics and it was on my birthday next year. I put a link on fb. Something like "I want to do this for my birthday." My friends and I talked about how cool it sounded and then I stopped thinking about it.
 You can't imagine how surprised I was when Mike told me that his mom and grandma were going to pay for me to take the class!! I have amazing in-laws!! Merry Christmas, Happy Yule and Happy birthday to me!!
 So, I didn't get a whole lot accomplished today, just the basic chores. I spent most of my day at their website. http://www.homesteadheritage.com/
They LOVE cedar!
 I did let the goats out to graze on the trees and weeds surrounding their pen. I love to watch them stand on their hind legs to get at the higher branches even though there is a branch brushing the ground not more than 3 feet to their left. Jasper is more interested in romping that eating, but he did stop long enough to nibble on some poison oak. They tried to convince me that they were still starving by making a mad dash to the back porch (where the feed is kept) and it took a flake of alfalfa to get them back into their pen.

Wrapped in cheesecloth
Unwrapped
 Tomorrow night I will start another cheese. This time a soft goat cheese that doesn't need to cure. Mike is happy that he get's to eat it right away. Speaking of cheese, here are a couple of pictures of the cheese I have curing. It got a little bit smooshed in the cheese press but I don't think it's going to make one bit of difference in how it tastes. For a first try, and one that seemed doomed to fail I'm really happy with how it turned out.
 So that's it for tonight, y'all. Blessed Be

3 comments:

  1. That looks GREAT! And how many days did it take to make? Once you have the making/eating ratio down you'll be in tall cotton...LOL!

    Awesome that you get to take the homestead classes. Nothing better than getting what you want. You're going to make a great farm lady.

    I'm looking forward to more farm happenings and pictures! Have a great Christmas if I don't get back to your blog. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Jill. It only took about 3 days. I'm hoping future batches are a little more cooperative.
    Also, thanks for all of your encouragement. It means a lot to me that you always take time to read and comment.
    Have a great Christmas and tell your kids hello from us out here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to that website and now am drooling over their classes. IN August there is a whole week of classes I want to take..canning, sourdough bread making, soft cheese and hard cheese making!!! What a cool place!

    ReplyDelete